Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Star still shines bright

When I was a little kid I had a strange hobby. Those nights when the sky was clear, I used to lie on my back and look above. Above at the constellation of stars.
My fingers trying to figure out among all- “My favourite star”.
There it was, I used to discover and my lips made an arch –to smile.
And then, my star and I used to gaze each other for hours. That was the brightest star, my favourite star. Much later Physics and Geography taught me it was Venus, but the little kid of six years was more than happy with the fact that the brightest star had chosen him as his best friend among so many kids of his age.
I used to discuss with him practically everything.
How our new teacher gave us so much of homework to do. I used to show him the new bat that my mum bought for me. I used to complain to him whenever Mumma forced me to have a glass full of milk. I used to confide to him whenever I made a mistake. Cry to him when my naughty classmates used to beak my pencil when I went for lunch. Ask him why does Mumma cry so often?
In all our conversation, he never uttered a word but the fact that he never used to take his eyes away from me made me feel he is there, listening. I wanted somebody to listen to all my crap, and there he was, so patient, so calm - my best friend.
Sometimes the silent conversations went for long, and the next day I found myself wrapped inside my quilt. My mom then said, that I had slept in the veranda itself and she had to bring me inside the room.
There were days when we didn’t meet. Sometimes my homework kept me busy and the other times he hid himself under the clouds-Probably he needed rest too!!!
Its been 18 years since we became friends and we still have those gazing sessions. Our conversations have changed, but his reactions are just the same. He still shines brightly indicating that any tough passages would eventually be conquered.
I remember Papa, when you just went away from all of us. I saw those scary scenes but could not comprehend much. I was too little to understand that you would never come back to us.
On the night of 1st July 1991, somebody told me that Papa has become a star and she introduced me to you in your new form.
Your Mathur really loves and misses you Pa . Keep shining on me as you have always done.
Papa, the Sky is clear today. So, let’s chat?

6 comments:

Ruchika said...

You made me cry... sometimes the feeling of not seeing and not touching him again makes me feel....i don't know what to say...

rach said...

I know sweetheart. All these years we have never ever cried aloud because we "had to be strong". It is one such day where we can let our tears roll down. But I know he sees us from above each day, and this is the reason memories are so fresh till date. He is watching his Chiru and Mathur and wants to see both of them happy always. so lets smile and tell him - we love you papa.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your post brought tears in my eyes and it is so very touching that everytime I read it, I get tears.
I don't know what to say.

The star still shines bright and would always do!

Unknown said...

hey it was so touchy... i cant stop myself from cryin... i can understand your situation...bhai we are always there for you... Keep smiling always...

Abhishek said...

I entered very late in your family approx after 20 yrs, so dont knw much about him. But after meeting you, ruchi and mami, I wish 🌠 if I would have met him..
Good narration with all the love being poured and it features the bonding which culminates beyond this life.... After reading one thing is sure that the kind of relationship which we share as of now, must have been manifested by his blessings too...and would be witnessing its growth...
Keep up the pump....