Saturday, January 17, 2009

When have you been the happiest?


I had gone to my cousin’s place to find my niece holding an autograph book which she had got as a gift from one of her friend.

It looked to me that it would be a five min job and I would finish this off within ten minutes. The questions were pretty obvious at the beginning and I was just checking my speed to maintain good hand writing as my thoughts were much faster than my fingers which were holding a pen after long time. Then the questions became tougher where I had to write about my favourites. (From fav movie to fav food) It was difficult to chose one of its kind from a large pool but somehow I could figure out my favourites wondering what would Rang de Basanti or Chinese tell me if they all of a sudden were infused with life if they came to know that I had betrayed them by chosing Taare Zameen Par and Paani Puri respectively over them. Feeling sorry for the two I moved ahead and was made to face much more difficult questions. Each questions started taking more and more time and I was reminded of exam days where I wanted to peek in from my neighbors copy to have an idea of what the question requires. I somehow finished with all questions except one--- What gives you maximum happiness?
It was so vague and I didn’t have an answer right then. My niece was losing her patience very much like my examiners who were all ready to snatch the papers after the 3 hour paper and very much like my answer sheets I returned back the autograph book to her with one question unanswered.
I wanted to write something to finish it off but then I wanted to be honest with each answer. I told her that I would give her an answer someday later and I moved out for her place. All this while thinking, what has given me or could give me maximum happiness?
I reflected back trying to figure out the answer.

I went back to my childhood days. I was reminded of those days of plastic guns and hot wheel cars I had. Wow! Those days were of super fun and I used to be so happy. But then I thought, does it still appeal to me? The answer was a blunt No.
Then I thought of the cricket bat that my mom had gifted me on my birthday. I was so happy and it was the most prized possession for me then. Then I thought of the state of that bat today. Last time when I had been home I had seen termites feeding on it and I had thought of reminding my mom to do something about it, but then, eventually I forgot. Are we supposed to forget the things we love so dearly? The answer from within was no and I tried moving my thoughts to something else.
I thought of the moment when I bought my first bike. Wow, it had to be the best moment. It reminded me off all those trips I made in rain and all those high terrain expeditions. But then I realized I had parted with it a year ago because it had started giving me troubles and I didn’t want it anymore.
I was straining my brain all this while till the bus conductor announced that electronic city had arrived. I got down of the bus still in that thoughtful mood until I bumped into a little child who was a rag picker who looked in total disarray. He had loads of tears in his eyes.
The thought of this child took the driver seat now. I was wondering if had banged into this child with a force and had accidentally hurt him. I asked him if he was okay to which he didn’t respond. His eyes had so much in it apart from the overflowing tears. I couldn’t control myself and asked him again what was there which was bothering him so much. He said that he had not found anything substantial from the pile of garbage and he didn’t have any substantial material to give to his owner who gives him 10 rupees for a kilo of plastic. He didn’t have enough money for dinner. Tears were rolling down his cheek as he was narrating his plight to me.
I was dumb struck. This little child toiled all day but was unlucky to arrange a dinner for himself.
I took this child to a food joint nearby and got a dinner packed for him. A beautiful angelic smile took over from the tears which had played its part to perfection in leaving this child with red eyes.
He only raised his hand probably in utter joy or may be he didn’t know there was a word like thank you and ran away with the packet in his hand. It felt he had achieved gold. In moments he was far away and the next moment I could not see him anymore. But then, his smile was captured in my eyes.
I have never felt so ecstatic, so contented before. I came to know where the real happiness lies. I know now that its there in a child’s smile!!! The autograph book would be fully complete tomorrow!!!

4 comments:

Sneha said...

Nicely written post.

I was also thinking for the answer to the same question.
I can cite a lot many incidents but then at the end,every such incident have always brought smile on my face.
For me, anything that brings smile on my face and on the other person's face, i would count that as a special moment.
Keep capturing such moments.
:)

.:Sumit Shah:. said...

Raja Rula diya tune yaar!

Why i get nostalgic when i see your emotion??? This is something i could never figure out.
Yeh baat shayad aur koi nahi jaanta hai ki meri jindagi is jaise pal ki wazah se hi chal rahi hai!

Agar jindagi ka yeh maksad nahi hota ....toh shayad yeh jindagi nahi hoti ...... shayad mein nahin hota......
Love you so much bhai!

Unknown said...

yaar seriously aankh main paani aa gaya... good one and keep it up...

MotleyPerkyVibes said...

Very nice post shuku :)
u always had that soft corner for the poor and the needy though :)
it is a very nice feeling to c u writing.... i wrote just 1 post and forgot the password.. ;) hehe