Thursday, January 29, 2009

Most memorable Journey!!!

I was drenched with sweat when somebody’s voice: “Its Nagpur” woke me from my slumber. I was traveling by a sleeper class train in the middle of April from Pune to Ranchi. I saw my watch. It was 2 Pm. The fans were loaded with dust indicating that it was about a year ago the fan had stopped working. I could not take it any longer. I planned to go down. There were 12 people already sitting down. It was summer vacation in most of the colleges and school and the train was full of waitlisted people. I had somehow managed to get a seat. It was too much for me to lay down fighting against the intolerable heat the roof was transmitting. I peeped down to see those faces full of anticipation. The anticipation of those people, who were supposed to get down at Nagpur. I sighed –“Wish Nagpur was my hometown”. I did not know how would I manage the rest of the journey. I could not take this anymore. I thought I would prefer standing near the gate rather getting sapped here. I got down and straight away made my way to the gate. The sun was burning red. The heat had taken a toll on the vegetation as the barren land spread as far as I could see. I felt sorry for the plants.

I had finished off the bottle of water I had. I wanted to buy a bottle of water as and when I reach Nagpur.. I checked my pocket to find my wallet.
Oh god!!! I was horrified to discover that my wallet was missing from its place. I had dropped it somewhere. Somewhere? But where? I was blank.
. Trying to retrace where could I drop it I retraced my steps to my berth. I looked at each and every corner of my berth, my luggage, only to find one thing – “Disappointment”.
I no more felt sorry for the plants because I was too engrossed in feeling sorry for myself. The only voice I could hear now was that of that vendor who was selling a water bottle. Between all this chaos I heard the train screeching and finally halting. One NOBLE voice said, “don’t worry, Go and report this at the nearest railway police station”. I was aware of the fact that the train stops at Nagpur station for 20 mins. I thought (at least then) that it was the right idea. Asking that person to take care of my luggage I got down of the train to look for the police station. After 10mins of struggle I found the railway police guard room. I stormed inside to narrate my plight to the officer.

The police guard quite bluntly replied back saying that as I had lost my wallet before reaching Nagpur station, the case did not come under his jurisdiction. I could not muster any word, not because I was scared to do so, but I was too feeble because of the thirst. Resigning to the fact that I would never get back my wallet I started my way back towards the train.
I was horrified to see the train moving. I didn’t realize that I had wasted 20 mins in finding a merciless police guard who showed no concerns for me. Somehow I threw myself inside some compartment and started making my way to my coop. My horror had no bounds to find my luggage missing along with the Mr.NOBLE (Now you know why I had used this word in BOLD). It had to be the most disgusting day of my life.
I pulled the chain and dropped out of the train. The train had moved three kms from Nagpur station. The sight of barren land looked so familiar. The plants looked as if they were feeling sorry for me now. I knew for sure, the police guard could not make the very same excuse because this guy had got down with my luggage “Under his Jurisdiction”. Each step seemed a milestone covered. I was dying of thirst.
I was terrorized to see eagles hovering above. It reminded me of all those Hindi movies where the villain drops in some desert and they feed on him. It gave me some motivation to move faster. I could see the railways station at a distance now. I managed having a smile and minutes later, couldn’t help myself chuckling at the sight of a water tap. I knew it would cater the most impure form of water but I thought I better die of diarrhea than die of thirst and then be perched by beasts.
I opened the tap to find cold water flowing down. It was the best thing that had happened to me in the last 1 hour. I cupped my hands to drink water. I drank it all but I could not quench my thirst.
Why? What was wrong? Was it not water?

I shrieked…..

And the next sight was of the A/C compartment I was inside. I was traveling from Bangalore to Chennai. It was nothing but a stupid dream. My throat was very dry. Now I knew what was the origination of this dream (I rather call it a nightmare). I was a little thirsty before going to sleep but I was too lazy to pick the water bottle that was on the other side of the berth. I made a silent prayer to the almighty before finishing off the complete bottle. I was ecstatic to see my entire luggage intact, my wallet in my pocket and only six people in my coop all-sleeping in peace. Cuddling the little bag I had I again went back to sleep.

3 comments:

.:Sumit Shah:. said...

For a moment i thought you did lost all your luggage and hided the fact from me. I thought of giving a tight smack but you got away!
Pretty good words has been used.
Loved the flow of the same.

I am a follower of your work.....keep working!!!
Love you always!

pro said...

Nice one Rach ...

SNEHA said...

Good one! N I really kept on wondering while reading, ohh my god, yeh kya ho gaya Raj ke sath.. Ha ha..
Keep writing :)
bdw, tu blogger kab se ban gaya re? No such things at all during college days.. Keep it up buddy